Our offerings for newborns, babies, young toddlers, toddlers, preschoolers, young children, and adults include:
- Kindermusik music and movement classes (newborn to 6 years)
- Small Group Keyboard Classes
- Piano Lessons – Age 5 through adult
- Organ Lessons – Age 5 through adult
Whether your baby is 8 weeks or 8 months, this class is the perfect fit! With age-appropriate activities for newborns, infants and crawlers, this parent-child music and movement class will help you strengthen those early parent-child bonds, understand your baby’s development, and heavily focus on child development and communication with your baby. You and your baby will enjoy instrument play, dance, exploration time, and together time—and you’ll get expert advice and parenting resources based on the most recent research in baby development. We know how hard it is when you have a baby to make it to class on time, if at all – even if you had planned to! So we have added flexibility to our baby classes. Choose your preferred class day and then if you cannot make it, you are welcome to come to an alternate baby class. Or, you could come to more than one class in the week at no additional cost!
Get ready to sing, play, and move with your little one in this high-energy music class designed to be just right for very young children. This Kindermusik curriculum focuses on your child’s beginning movement, helping to build the muscles your young toddler needs to walk, run, and climb; and on vocal development, helping to nurture your child’s speaking and singing voice. With a mix of both parent-child joint activities and child-focused activities, you’ll be able to join right in on all the singing and dancing while also getting the chance to observe how your young toddler learns on his or her own. This class is contains just-right mix of early-childhood vocal play and language development, together time, and music and movement activities!
This Kindermusik class celebrates the unique joys of your growing child. Each week your child will love singing, dancing, and playing instruments with you and her new friends and you’ll love helping her practice a wide variety of abilities such as gross and fine motor skills, turn-taking, social skills, and active listening. In class, we’ll also share tips and ideas for using music throughout the week.
Each week in class we combine your preschooler’s natural love of music, storytelling, and imaginative play with age-appropriate activities that introduce early music concepts and foster independence, social and emotional skills, language growth, and self-control. Children get the
opportunity to explore many different percussion instruments. We also connect you with other parents who share in the wonder of parenting a preschooler.
In class, we engage your child in music and movement activities that also promote language, social and emotional skills, early math and early literacy, physical coordination, creativity, and more. Plus, your child will learn basic music vocabulary and notation—all setting the stage for future school success and formal music lessons. Parents join the fun for the final activities. This class is for 4 & 5 year old children going to school the next year.
This class prepares the young child (aged 4.5yrs+) who is eager for first experiences with musical symbols and instrument discovery but is not yet ready for formal lessons and traditional music reading with an instrument. This class is specifically designed for children 4½-6years – starting school next year or in their first year of school.
What a parent and child will experience in class…
- Singing and vocal development — It may sound like a foreign language when a child sings “ta” and “ti-ti,” but this is the language of professional musicians and composers and getting young children ready to read and write simple rhythm patterns.
- Movement — See children dance expressively to music, giving them the practice they needs to coordinate their body movements to the sound of music. This kind of musical play not only improves usicianship, but physical coordination as well.
- Reading and writing — Young children will learn melodic notation and identify pitches such as the C, A, and D notes on the treble clef, plus rhythmic notation. Eventually even composing their own music.
- Focused listening — Children will learn to identify a range of orchestra instruments and their sound qualities, while also gaining an early awareness and knowledge of composers and masterworks in Western arts tradition.
- Exploring and playing many percussive instruments with a special focus on the glockenspiel — Children will be exposed to the many choices for future musical study, and at the same time provide them with the opportunity to musically succeed before taking on more formal instruction.
Kids on Keys- Group Keyboard Classes:
We offer super fun, small group keyboard classes for children aged 5 to 8 years old.
Young children love the fun, progressive approach of the Encore on Keys Series. They meet their instrument right from the start, sing along with the music, participate in story-telling and games, play percussion instruments and engage with the music through gestures, actions and movement activities.
The key elements of the program are:
Songs – for musical enjoyment, expression and foundation movement activities Finger zips – small pieces that develop keyboard skills on a micro level
Repertoire Pieces – solo performance pieces
Ensembles – to develop part-playing skills, group interaction and team playing
Flash cards – a proven way to reinforce concepts and develop reading skills and
CDs and MIDI files – these provide an aural model and excite the student’s magination.
Private Piano & Organ Tuition:
We offer private lessons in piano and organ for students aged five and up. We teach absolute beginners and prepare students for AMEB exams. With a qualified and friendly approach Dorothy brings her passion for music and teaching to every single lesson. We also provide performance opportunities to help grow your child’s confidence and be inspired by other performers.